Sunday 11 August 2013

Breakfast at Tiffany's | Boor Review

 Posted at first on my Booklikes page


Capote's most loved and well-known novella, first published in November, 1958, tells us about Holly, Holly Golightly (yes, I think that this woman might have been awesome James Bond, if she had been alive:) - exceptional woman with mazy past, outstanding present and you-won't-know-it future, through eyes and words of unnamed writer, who was her neighbor and friend. Once in NY...

 “It may be normal, darling; but I'd rather be natural.” 

  really liked this novella! It was quick and fun read, full of captivating writing and characters, that made this book a treasure for me. About my copy in few words:
* it's in Russian
* movie poster hardback
* has 160 pages
* adorable (*.*)

  Holly is SOMETHING! Very extraordinary character, multi-faceted, with story absolutely amazing personality.
  Until now, I've decided not to hang those "And now THIS is my favourite classic" or "Move, Gatsby!" labels on classic books, especially since I've not read a lot of classic in past, and every newly read good one can become my next "I love it!" one.
  Chic! This book is posh! Short, but such a significant story! Magnifique!
  Holly Golightly is a young woman, with heart of girl and mind of lion. She had a difficult past, that made her become a woman from an early age (well, for me it's early, but I won't tell you the age, spoiler free territory here), withstand different situations, fight for her future (believe me, I'm not over-dramatizing here, it's short part of the book, but turn up logic&imagination and you'll see, what I mean) and made herself a name in middle 40's NY society, that tells a lot about a small-town girl. OK, I really don't want to spoil the book and it seems like I'm starting to do it...So I'll stop here.
  I'll simply give you some quotes, that can pull a curtain for you a little:

"If I could find a real-life place that made me feel like Tiffany's, then I'd buy some furniture and give the cat a name.”

 “Leave it to me: I'm always top banana in the shock department.”

 “The blues are because you're getting fat or maybe it's been raining too long. You're sad, that's all. But the mean reds are horrible. You're afraid and you sweat like hell, but you don't know what you're afraid of. Except something bad is going to happen, only you don't know what it is.” 

 “You’re wrong. She is a phony. But on the other hand you’re right. She isn’t a phony because she’s a real phony. She believes all this crap she believes. You can’t talk her out of it.”  

  The storyteller himself wasn't a big deal for me. He's actually a dull spot, comparing to Holly, more like a background or messenger. But Capote's writing gave him a favor, so you can imagine yourself sitting with him in some bar in NY and listening to story, that you won't forget. And in the end, you'll wish you could know that woman in person.

As always, when it comes to a good book, READ IT! I'm sure you'll enjoy this pure gold of classic literature.

Keep reading and DFTBA!

* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment